Tuesday, November 27, 2012

First Video Clip



So I got a new camera for my upcoming birthday (I'm not a kid anymore so I don't have to wait!). Long story, but I kept obsessively checking for something on Amazon (or B&H, or Adorama, or even Canon Refurbished) to have an exceptionally low price and it turned out to be the Canon Rebel T3i with kit lens (18-55) for $499. That price lasted a couple of hours at best until Amazon sold out and then the price went back up to $599. I'm sure there will be similar deals at some point, but I doubt the price will go much lower any time soon. On the other hand, the more recent T4i doesn't seem to be budging in price.

I wanted video and low-light capabilities (my older XTi only goes to 1600 ISO, the T3i to 12,800) and considered one of the Sony NEX systems, but I wasn't keen on learning a whole new user interface and acquiring a second set of lenses, flashes, etc.

Anyway, this is a silly video of the traffic outside my window at work. I thought from time to time I would post short little 30 - 60 second videos instead of photos. This is quite rough, the audio is too loud, I see that even with an image stabilized lens I need a tripod (my breathing pattern is obvious to me in the video!) but it's a start.Watch in at least 720p mode, otherwise it's a waste.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent choice! You must feel like a kid even if it is in a mature skin:-) It not at all a silly video, there is everything in it: view, yellow cab, noise like the emergency siren...
    The tripod is a must but not only for videos. I wish you all the fun with you new gear.
    Happy "coming up" birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I thought it must be your school building with the big windows. This opens up a lot of new opportunities. Don't drown in it. But I suspect a flood of new postings now with the new equipment.Happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, the sights and sounds of New York City. A photographic adventure and challenge of a different kind - I'm also starting to experiment with the video function on my camera. Looking forward to seeing where this new venture takes you...

    ReplyDelete