Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Final Hill

The Final Hill

What goes down, must come up. I live in Washington Heights, and as the name suggests, it is in the highest part of Manhattan. My apartment is close to a park that has a marker designating it as the highest geologic point on the island (Bennett Park). And the climb from sea level (the Hudson River that runs alongside my bike path) to the highest point is a steep one. It's not so obvious from the photo, but this is the final steep leg of my bike ride home. There's more hill after this, but not quite as dramatically steep as this one.

The nice thing about living in my neighborhood is the vantage point - living at the top of the hill has always had certain socio-economic connotations. The disadvantage for a biker is that the early part of the ride is easy, downhill fun, while the last part of my ride, when I'm already tired, is all uphill. Was mich nicht umbringt...

UPDATED: I realized it was too dark and brought out some more highlights, it looks more appropriate now to the time of day, late afternoon, when it was shot.

3 comments:

  1. I like it very much. Thanks for showing Micheal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gotta be keeping fit then.

    This is a nice shot... could be in England actually. Works well in B&W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mike , Bill makes a point it could be England but its nice to know its Manhattan =) no offense Bill, NYC is my home =) good shot... I can only think of one thing to make this shot better and that is to see a cyclist climbing it ....

    ReplyDelete