Saturday, October 15, 2011
I've been very busy this week setting up the first exhibit of the photography club at my school. I had a couple of students working just as hard to help make it happen, but really it looks so simple and straight forward yet it represents a tremendous amount of work.
We had about 60 photos, (the opposite wall has an additional 20 or so pics) which had to be formatted for printing, uploaded to the printer (MPIX - Very nice quality at a good price*), then matted and framed. Add two solid hours for three people (two colleagues & me) to lay out and organize the pictures and then mount them on the walls, add labels, and all-in-all an exhausting final day of prep.
But well worth it and I'm looking forward to doing it again - with some adjustments. The next step is to make each student (or teacher - for this exhibit teachers & staff were also invited to participate) responsible for getting his/her picture done all the way through to the framing. We'll get there eventually.
*I also used Adoramapix in a rush on some of the pics, because I could pick them up locally at the store in NYC, in a one-day turnaround - they're also a bit cheaper, though the colors of the prints are not quite as rich, a little more subtle, which may be preferable in some cases. I didn't like their B&W work at all, though. MPIX was clearly better on that front. But Adorama is otherwise a reasonable option for sure.