Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Knob

Knob

Or "wasteful gub'ment spending" from an earlier era, in the eyes of today's conservatives.

Another rarity, these old-fashioned City of New York Public School door knobs. As the doors are eventually replaced, these knobs wind up - where? A landfill, perhaps, or some antique dealer's shop? I only know they are replaced with generic industrial, sterile (from a design perspective) "modern" handles & knobs. My school has a few of these left on some of the doors that have not yet been renovated.

3 comments:

  1. I'm surprised there are still some of these around - I'd think they'd be a desirable collectors' item. I'm heartened by the fact that they haven't all disappeared. Beautifully rendered image, Michael, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remind me of some uniform buttons but looks marvelous. And just made for schools. Yes that where the times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely detail. In UK 'public school' refers to all the schools that are actually private and are expensive and unavailable for the masses of normal children. (ie. 'Eton' is a public school). Strange upside down world we live in.

    ReplyDelete